How Business Function devastates the Recruitment Vertical. a Great Study.


It is surprising to see that these days entire stress in Human Resource Function is improving on Position Closure TAT and giving to business their desired candidate. What is seen is that all the basics of HR have been out looked.

Doing this, Recruiters of today’s age are defeating the entire purpose of creation in a different HR Vertical. I understand that there is various pressures on a recruitment to close the position however they need to understand that parallel they have a responsibility of hiring the right fitment. Line Managers and Business Managers will be after the lives to recruiter to get their position closed and hence young recruiter gives in to this pressure without realising that this is part and parcel of the role they are in. You need to be 100 per cent sure about all aspects before you actually take the candidate onboard or even extend the offer.

Using this platform, I will share two examples where Business Leader because of their impatience has spoiled the show. I example is of the time when I was in a corporate leading Talent Acquisition and another example goes back to my Consulting Years.

While I was working for a corporate heading the Talent Acquisition Vertical, I received a mandate of General Manager- Franchise Development. Post receiving it I began with my recruitment like every one does and eventually we had a shortlist however there was a bit ambiguity in one of the leaders of two with than vertical about this shortlist. So I was asked to do the HR Fitment. I invited that gentleman over a Cup Of Coffee for a small Chit Chat. After taking to him for a while I started liking that gentleman with a feeling in mind that he is not a long term resource. As her was sharp he didn’t say anything like that but with how he was talking I had my guts telling me that he is only looking for a makeshift arrangement. I kept talking to him for good Forty Minutes to probe further but to no joy. He was very sharp and intelligent. Indeed he was best fit for the role but wasn’t coming across as a Long Term Resource.

Post him leaving for day, I was called by my leader and was asked about my opinion, I said it very clearly that I have a strong feeling that he is going to leave us very soon. To this, they got annoyed as they had already liked him and asked for a specific reason for my feedback. I shared the fact that there is no specific reason but I have a very strong Gut Feeling. They said that’s No Good a Reason and coached me to do a better screening next time.

This Gentleman joined in and exactly after Four Months he resigned as he was to join a company in another country at a leader position. My leaders had to cut a sorry figure because of them ignoring my views.

However who was at the losing end – ME as my bonus got effected because of my hired resource exiting before Six Months. What I realised was it was my mistake only I should not have heeded to the leader’s request and should have gone with what I had felt.
So I would end this by saying NEVER EVER GIVE UP. If you feel Candidate is not right DO NOT EXTEND THE OFFER.

Let’s move on to another example:

We have received a mandate in the Financial Services Vertical from a Retail Client. This position was already worked upon by a lot of Consultants. Upon receiving the position we started working on it fortunately we go two shortlists within a week only. However these candidates were presently based out of Mumbai so they were to travel to Delhi for a Final Interaction. Let’s call these guys X & Y. They had kept First preference to X as he was little low in budget as compared to that of Y. We were asked to schedule travel for X for his final interaction which he kept delaying for almost about a month   Most of the times he wouldn’t even respond to phone calls. I apprised the Client Recruiter and told her that X is not serious about this opportunity and hence chances are dim that he will ever join. So I pressed for Y who was also shortlisted another Twenty days went past & one day I got the call from client recruiter telling me that she had booked tickets for X for final interaction now there is just a day left and he is not responding on phone calls. I advised her that she should not have done it in first place as I had told her very clearly. Anyways now that she was in trouble I got onto call with X took stock of the situation and made him travel. As expected he was shortlisted and business asked to close him. Even them he demanded a straight 48 per cent jump on current CTC. At this stage too I asked the client recruiter to let go of this candidate as I do not see him joining the company. But for reasons known every corporate recruiter she extended the offer and gave him Thirty days to Join.
After Twenty days he got the joining pushed by another 15 days and post that stopped responding to phone calls. And as it was happen he just did not appear on the date of Joining.

Another great example of how the Recruitment Team has to suffer because of Business.

With this I would like to end it here by giving you all a clear advise that Never Ever Give Up in front of Business because at the end of it if a healthy baby is delivered and reaches teen it is because of them and if baby gets aborted it is because of us the recruiters.

Comments